JAMB withholds 76,923 results, set to conduct supplementary exams

0
63

– JAMB registrar Prof. Ishaq Oloyede stated that 76,923 results are being investigated over allegations of exam malpractice – Supplementary exams will be held for candidates who had problems with their registration and examination process – 1,606,901 results have been released out of the 1,718,425 candidates that sat for the 2017 UTME examinations Of the 1,718,425 candidates who registered and sat for the just concluded Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) across the federation, only 1,606,901 results have been released by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB). This was disclosed by the registrar of JAMB Ishaq Oloyede at a news conference in Abuja on Wednesday, May 31. The Cable reports that Oloyede stated that the decision to withhold some 76,923 results out of the 80,889 outstanding was deliberately taken by the board due to alleged exam malpractices in some of the examination centers. The results were released within 24 hours of the examination and the registrar disclosed that the outstanding results would be released soon.
The registrar criticized some of the parents who he said had also contributed to the cases of exam malpractices by purchasing fake questions for their wards. The owners of some CBT centers were also faulted, for trying to help candidates, by deliberately shutting down and disconnecting their networks in order to access questions on the computers.
To stem the tide of malpractice, Oloyede stated that ‘jammers’ would be introduced for subsequent exams. The registrar said that from 2018, results would not be released immediately after exams unless all issues pertaining to the conduct of the examination had been thoroughly looked into. He gave the assurance that the yet-to-be-released results would be released before the universities commence admissions.
NAIJ.com also reports that at the news conference, Prof. Oloyede further revealed that the board was planning to conduct supplementary examinations for those candidates who experienced hitches during the registration and examination process. He said some of the hitches were the fault of the computer centers, and were no fault of the candidates. “Anybody whose biometric could not be verified will be allowed to do the supplementary examination,” he said. “As at today, 640 candidates out of 1.7million candidates did not do biometric verification, reasons being that some fraudsters registered candidates across online. “In this case, the students are not guilty of the offence and hence will be made to write the exam again under my own very eyes.” Meanwhile, NAIJ.com earlier reported that the results of the UTME mock examinations which held on Saturday, April 29, had been released. Mock examinations were held across the federation before the main exams which results were just released.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here